*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Alice in Zombieland" by Gena Showalter

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1333628241l/11300302.jpg
I was so excited to read this book and had looked forward to it for such a long time, but it just didn't work for me. After reading other reviews of it, I realized that I was not alone. I picked up Alice in Zombieland thinking 'Alice in Wonderland but with zombies? This has to be good!' But this book is not Alice in Wonderland, not at all. And the reviews that I read confirmed what I felt. Many of us that went into the book with that mindset were not satisfied with the book, but it seems that those who read it without comparing the two works loved it. So I leave it up to readers to make their own opinions and hope that they enjoy this book.

Alice has never lived a normal life. Her father doesn't allow any of the family out of their home after dark. But the one time Alice convinces him to make an exception for her sister's recital the worst thing imaginable happens (avoiding spoilers here). Suddenly her life is turned into utter chaos and she finds out that her father was right all along- the monsters are indeed real. Can Ali come to terms with her new reality and avenger her family?

This book had more horror in it than I enjoy which is likely part of why I was turned off by it. It is definitely one the darker books I have read and I do much better with non-creepy stories. Overall, I am just not a fan of books that contain paranormal happenings and the undead (yes, I realize that my excitement of this book is therefore strange. Really think it was the possible Wonderland crossover that hooked me) and so this book just wasn't for me. But as I know that I won't like every book out there, I do encourage you to give it a shot. Maybe you like things that go bump in the night and like nothing better than curling up late at night with a scary story and maybe then you will really love this book!



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...