*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

"The Death And Life Of Charlie St. Cloud" by Ben Sherwood

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1329827169l/263050.jpgSometimes working at a library is a bad thing. I am always surrounded by books and constantly check out more books than I can possibly read. So what do I do? Check out even more books! I try to be aware of what books are in the collections I work with the most and sometimes just can't help myself from reading the descriptions on the back. This habit led me to reading The Death And Life Of Charlie St. Cloud. Originally I didn't realize that there was a book before the film came out (and as of right now, I haven't seen the film). The first copy of this book that I saw had Zach Efron on the cover so I thought that it was simply the novelization of the movie. Thankfully I came across a copy of the book that was printed prior to the film and managed to get myself straighten out.

Charlie St. Cloud hasn't been the same since he and his brother were in a horrible car accident. Sadly, Sam didn't make it. Shortly after Sam's death, Charlie discovered that he can still spend time with Sam's spirit. Every day, Charlie plays ball with his brother in the cemetery. Afraid that if he misses a day he will never see his brother again, Charlie never leaves his town and eventually gets a job at said cemetery. Life is almost always the same until he meets Tess, the woman who will change his life forever (and whose life will be changed by Charlie and Sam).

I really didn't know much about this book before I read it. I think what captivated me was the tone and style of the first chapter. In many ways, it reminded me of Jodi Picoult's writing and that hooked me into the book until the end. For the record, this book only reminded me of Picoult's work, I wouldn't really compare any farther than that. There is just so much to love about this book. It's captivating, gut wrenching and some scenes will keep you on the edge of your seat. I have noticed that since starting this blog, I don't re-read as many books as I used to, but I have a feeling I will be visiting this book again some day.



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...