*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, October 28, 2013

"Revenge Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger

I  was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the first book (which was really sad, as I am absolutely in love with the movie and still watch it frequently) but thought that this was a very nice follow-up.  Set about a decade after the end of The Devil Wears Prada, Revenge Wears Prada finds Andy Sachs about to be married and about to embark on even crazier changes.  She and Emily now own a very popular bridal magazine.  But when they are approached by Elias-Clark with an option to sell their magazine, Emily is ready to jump on board (despite the obligation to once again work under Miranda for a year) but Andy has her doubts. The novel focuses on this and Andy's journey into motherhood.  While I did completely approve of the ending (very bold, I like it!), I did fell like it was more of  surprise than I was expecting and do wish that the was a better build-up to it.

So yes, I was not a fan of the first book.  I loved so much about the movie and strongly feel that they made the correct changes from book to film.  I didn't feel as much connection to the characters and really didn't care for the ending.  So while I really wanted to read this book (I am one of those who feels the need to read sequels/complete series even if I wasn't a fan of the first) I had many apprehensions.  It was a very nice surprise to find that I quite enjoyed this follow-up.  I felt that Weisberger really had a good grasp of the characters this time and I had much more emotion tied up in their stories this time around.  It's been around six or seven years since I read the first book, but I don't remember caring too much about Andy and crew the first time around.  This could be because I had seen the film, but this is very unlike me so I'm not sure if it was the book or me.  Anyways, I do highly recommend this book for both fans of the first and those that may be like me and wanted to like the book was left a little empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...