*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

"Out of My Mind" by Sharon M. Draper

I know it's only February, but this is the most impactful thing I have read so far in 2013.  Sharon M. Draper's Out of My Mind is the story of Melody, a girl who has a million thoughts, but has never spoken.  Living with cerebral palsy, Melody can only express herself by pointing to words printed on her wheelchair tray.  This works, sort of, but Melody is very limited when it comes to expressing her wants, needs, and true capability. But things begin to change when she discovers the technology that will allow her to talk for the first time.

I have read little of Draper's work, but am blown away by what I have read.  This book is no exception   Draper captures Melody so well, I really felt like I was going through her experiences and not only reading about them.  I was very torn with this book- I couldn't put it down but I didn't want to rush through it as I wasn't ready for the story to end.  I almost want there to be a sequel, that's how involved with the story I was (I don't see this happening though.  The ending wrapped up nicely and I can't quite picture a follow-up novel).  I know this book is going on my top ten for the year- it's an absolute must read!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...