*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

"The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus" by Sonya Sones


I love Sones' work for teens so I was pretty excited to give this book a read.  It reminded me quite a bit of Ellen Hopkins' Triangles, both in content and writing style (Makes sense, both write in verse and both of these novel center around woman entering middle age- and learning how to deal with it, and both have characters named Holly...).  Holly is about to turn fifty, has a daughter about to go off to college, isn't sure where her relationship with her husband is going and is worried about her mom's health.  On top of that, her publisher is constantly reminding me that the deadline for her new book is coming up fast.  How can she possible handle everything in her life?

Okay, so I am a twenty-something and can't really relate to Holly.  But that doesn't mean that I didn't appreciate this novel.  I thought Sones did an excellent job of capturing the characters in The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus and the emotions they would be going through.  I felt like I could really see through Holly's eyes and though her experiences are not ones I have necessarily encountered, I could imagine how it would feel to go through these scenarios.  I certainly would like to see more with these characters. This is the kind of novel that I think would work to see a sequel written from the point of view of one of the other characters (I think it could be the most interesting to see a novel from Holly's mother's viewpoint- though that would likely be the most challenging perspective to write from).  I hope that Sones follows this novel up with another book soon!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...