*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, January 4, 2013

"Something Like Normal" by Trish Doller

I have heard nothing but good things about Something Like Normal by Trish Doller so I really thought that I was in for a treat when I read this book.  Sadly, I was disappointed.  Maybe it's because I (very inadvertently) read Ellen Hopkins' Collateral right before, but this book seemed to be lacking something for me.  Sure, there were some very interesting plot choices (things that I am sure have happened to real returning soldiers) such as Travis' girlfriend leaving him for his brother and his parents' collapsing marriage.  But these aren't really the focus of the story.  The majority of the novel is split between Travis' hallucinations of his friend Charlie, who died overseas, and his blossoming relationship with former classmate, Harper.  There were some strong elements to the story, but it didn't quite feel solid to me.  I think I would have preferred if the novel focused more on Travis' transition back to his "normal" life instead of introducing the romantic element.  This wasn't a bad book, but I am kind of glad that it wasn't very long because I don't think it would have kept my interest much longer. My real disappointment is in how much other bloggers enjoyed it and I just didn't have the same reaction. 

Have you read Something Like Normal? What did you think?

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...