*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

"Ex-mas" by Kate Brian

This book was sort of what I expected.  The plot was fairly predictable (right up to the cheating boyfriend and who Lila would end up with at the end of the novel), but that was exactly what I was in the mood for when I read it.  Though it was the right read for the mood I was in, it is hard to look back on the book and enjoy it.  I haven't read much of Kate Brian's work but compared to what I have read, Ex-mas did feel a little sub-par.   

Lila's parents are going out of town just in time for the first weekend of Christmas vacation, so of course she's planning a blow-out party.  And of course it gets spoiled at the last moment when her younger brother, Cooper tells their parents of her plan.  To get revenge, she leaves an article about global warming out where he can see it.  Now this may not seem like a big deal, but Cooper is crazy obsessed over Christmas and Santa Claus- and the article references that global warming will affect Santa Claus.  So Cooper hops on a train with his best friend (and brother of Lila's ex, Beau) to save Santa.  Now all Lila has to do is get her brother home- before her parents find out.  

The plot was almost a little too out there for me.  I guess since it takes place a Christmas time, it's a little easier to believe that two kids could get away with traveling without an adult.  However, it's not as easy to believe that Lila was able to get away with not taking her parents calls (of course, Cooper took her phone and tells their parents that Lila is in the shower, and other things of that sort when they call).  It's also frustrating that Lila and Beau don't get authorities involved.  Brian covered reasons why the two teens didn't get help, but there comes a point where a child's safety becomes more important than not getting in trouble or stressing out parental units.  This wasn't really a bad read, I just felt that there were a few too many plot holes for my liking.

This is one of those books that I'm glad I got used.  It was a really quick read and I doubt I will be reading it again.  Again, it's not a bad book, I guess I am just getting used to books with a little more depth.  If you are looking for a fun holiday romance, give this book a try.  It you are looking for substance, move along.

Happy Reading (and Holidays!)
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...