*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, November 5, 2012

"Every Day" by David Levithan

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1335900520l/13262783.jpgI picked up this book for two reasons: the first being that I was able to check it out at the library for my kindle, the second being that it's by David Levithan.  I haven't read very much of his work (yet), but have loved everything that I have read.  Every Day is no exception.  I loved it!  Something that I especially enjoyed is that I haven't read anything that I can really compare this book to.  A wakes up every day as a new person.  For 24 hours, he inhabits the body of someone new.  Sometimes they are male, sometimes female, but they are always the same age as A.  It also seems that they were always located in the same area geographically (as I recall this was a minor detail.  There wasn't too much detail but I like that it was addressed).  Most days are the same- he learns how to blend as the person he is currently inhabiting.  He does his best to keep from allowing any questions to be asked, to keep from being noticed.  But of course this all changes they day he meets Rhiannon.  Suddenly she is the only motivation and he will do whatever it takes to be with her, even revealing his secret to her- and accidentally revealing to one of his "hosts" that something had taken over his mind and body.

I really didn't know much about this book before starting it. Sometimes I see a name attached to a book and don't even bother reading the description before I read the book.  In a way this is really nice because I don't start with any misconceptions about the plot and I don't go in expecting certain questions to be answered.  I just loved that this felt like a wholly original plot.  Again, I can't really compare it to other books that I have read (though there's probably some other title(s) out there like this book, but I just haven't come across them yet).  A is a very interesting character.  A has no physical description and no real gender (though in my head, A's presence was always male, no clue why.  Probably because the first person we meet A as is male?  I don't know.  Not that important really, but this is why I keep referring to A as "he.").  It was also really interesting to see how Levithan created all of the characters in this book and how he was able to intertwine so many of their stories.  This was one of those books that I was actually a little sad when I had finished it.  It had a good ending, but I wasn't ready for the story to end.  It will definitely go on a re-read list at some point.


Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...