*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, June 11, 2012

"Divergent" by Veronica Roth

It seems that I am often behind in popular trends with books (I partially blame it on my town which is always even farther behind than I am and that makes it hard to find copies of the books that I want to read sometimes).  I didn't read Harry Potter until right before the 4th one came out, I didn't read Twilight until the day after Breaking Dawn was released and Mockingjay was out for more than a year before I gave The Hunger Games a try.  So reading Veronica Roth's  Divergent shortly after the sequel was released means I'm not too far behind, right?

If you have read anything dystopian (and at this point, I am sure you have) then you probably have a good idea of the setting of this novel.  Set in the future in a very different from today Chicago, Beatrice is about to make a decision that will change her life forever (isn't that always the way?).  She will have to decide if she will stay in her current faction and remain a member of her family or choose a new faction and be completely removed from the life she has always known.  Of course she chooses a new faction and will now be living with the Dauntless.  In her new faction, Tris (as she is now called) will face down every one of her fears and compete to keep a place in the faction.

As is the norm, this novel includes action, romance, and the uncovering of a secret that will further change Tris' life and the lives of all around her.  And even more the norm, the book ends leaving the reader desperate for more (I must say, the one good thing about starting a series late, I don't have to wait months or years for the sequel- I will be reading Insurgent soon!).  I had no difficulty immersing myself in this novel and found it to be a rather fast paced read.  It is easy to compare it to The Hunger Games and other novels in the dystopia genre, so if you are into dystopian literature, make sure you pick up a copy!



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...